Christmas, food poisoning, and races

Happy day-after-day-after-day-after-Christmas!  I have two races and a weird, challenging week to report on.

Our county was the only county in the state to have school on Monday and Tuesday, so that was fun.  My former teammate, home from college, hosted her annual holiday cookie party on Tuesday night, and I went home stuffed with sugar and glee.  (That was super cheesy.)

On Christmas Eve day, I woke up feeling extremely weak and terrible.  It felt like I’d scaled Mount Whitney with the flu; my joints felt achy, I was close to collapsing, and all I wanted to do was sleep.  We realized it was probably food poisoning, so I skipped that day’s workout and mostly stayed in bed.  I did drag myself to church for the first time in forever, and we also took part in our yearly tradition of make-your-own pizza for Christmas Eve dinner.

Christmas Day was a bit better, and it was fun opening presents and eating a great breakfast.  We gorged ourselves on the typical Christmas/Thanksgiving spread: turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato and apple casserole, broccoli, apple crisp, whipped cream, and flourless chocolate torte.

The indoor track gods decreed we had a race (in my case, the 4×800 and the 1600) on the 27th.  We woke up at 6:30 a.m. and got to the race venue around 8:15.  The 4×800 was weird; our coach wasn’t there, so the jumps/hurdles coach was in charge of getting us our baton and bibs.  HE DIDN’T DO THAT UNTIL LITERALLY TWO MINUTES BEFORE THE RACE.  We were all very stressed and anxious, which wasn’t the best race situation.

Our first leg didn’t run very fast for some reason, and our second leg ran about the same.  We were supposed to be winning, but at that point we were probably in eighth in a not-very-great field.  Our third leg ran solidly to put us in second, and I ran the anchor to keep us in second.  I hadn’t done anything more than light jogging in several days, so the 800 made my legs feel absolutely awful.  Our time was terrible, but that’s okay; at least we got a medal. 😉

Super attractive relay finish

Super attractive finish

My race buddy and I had about three hours until the mile, so we walked around, listened to music, ate applesauce and bananas, and talked to the jumps coach until they called us.  We were both in the fastest heat; I was seeded fourth so I was in the alley.  The race official boomed, “Runners: take your mark!” and then there was such a long pause in between that and the gun that I actually fell over.  The race video is hilarious.

Smiling because I'm a klutz

I’m smiling because I’d just fallen over (I’m #4)

The race went out aggressively, so I started out around 10th.  It was very much a bloodbath; girls were tripping over each other and spiking each other.  I held my ground and gradually moved up until I was in fourth, which is where I stayed for the rest of the race.  I finished in 5:26, which I am happy with.  That’s a conference qualifying time and a great starting place.  Considering my recent lack of conditioning, the times I ran were satisfying.

k-4Takeaways from the race:

  • I can hold my ground when I haven’t done any hard work in a couple weeks.
  • Lack of speedwork = lack of a kick.  I need to work on my turnover and power at the end.

I spent all morning cleaning out my closet, dresser, drawers, etc.  I like to do a vigorous New Year’s cleaning to start the New Year off on the right off (so cliche, I know).  My room isn’t finished, but it’s time to finish some college apps!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s