Although this was my last regional meet of high school, I ultimately made the decision to scratch any individual events because they fell on the same night as prom (Friday).  This means that I am not qualified for states in an individual event, but I’m okay with that 🙂

The 4×800 was on Thursday night, which did not bring ideal weather.  It was in the 80s and extremely humid, with lurking thunderstorms, which was not a surprise but still gross. We got to the meet around 6:50 pm and warmed up at 7:30 because there was a 15-minute storm delay.  I felt okay on the warm-up; I tend to get a stitch either before or during races, and I got a stitch during this warm-up, which was kind of a relief because I’d gotten it over with.  Weird, I know.  We were soaked in perspiration by the end of the warm-up.

We kept the same order that we ran at conferences, so I was running the first leg.  I really wanted to have a good race and just get back under that stupid 2:25 barrier that I hadn’t been able to break all season (even though my PR from last year was a 2:21).  If I was ever going to do it, this was the race.

As I lined up at the starting line, I was mentally shouting “I love racing” or something along those lines at myself in order to override any negative thoughts that were trying to creep in.

After three separate “on your marks” because someone kept stepping on the finish line, the gun finally went off.


IMG_5441The first 200 went out pretty hard, but I felt good.  There was no finish line clock, so I had no idea what my 400 split was during the race.  I figured it was fast, but I still felt strong! (It turned out to be 66 high)


Unfortunately, I got spiked and boxed in on the back stretch during the second lap.  I lost my balance and slowed down but still managed to hang in there.  Races are never perfect 🙂

I hardly remember anything from 500 to 700 meters, but as I came around to the final straightaway and tried to find my teammate, I realized she was lined up really far to the outside.  Trying to get to her wrecked my concentration a little bit, so my final kick wasn’t amazing and I slowed down drastically as I handed off to her in fourth place, but we managed not to drop the baton, and I turned around as fast as I could to check out my time on the scoreboard clock behind me.

When I turned around, the clock read 2:19.



IMG_5449IMG_5450I love these pictures.  I was shocked!

As you can see, even though depth perception is hard in head-on pictures, I handed off about five meters before the line, so my leg was a little less than 800 meters.  But I’d like to think all the dodging and weaving I did made up for it 😉  If I had run all the way through the line, it would’ve either been 2:20 low or 2:19 high, so I’m calling it as a 2:19.  (I hope no one minds.) No matter what, it was a PR, which honestly I was not expecting at all after running 2:25-2:26 all season!

My teammates ran amazingly as well, and we actually set a season best, faster than we’d run when we had our original four!  Our soph anchor split a 2:16-2:17, her fastest time ever as well!



On to states!  I have one more race left in my high school career!





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s