Race weekend!

This past weekend was one of the most fun/tiring/instructive weekends of college.  We hosted a very large meet Thursday through Saturday.


When you’ve essentially been at a track meet for 60 hours and also you’re freezing

Thursday was the 3k!  All day Thursday I was feeling great about my fitness level and excited to run the 3k… but as soon as I walked into the locker room about two hours before my race…BAM.  Nerves.  This was one of the worst cases I’d ever had.

Some of my older, faster teammates noticed that I was looking a little petrified.  “Trust your training,” one said.  “You’re in really good shape right now.”

In a perfect world, I wanted to get the junior nationals qualifier of 10:10.  My “B” goal was to PR (sub-10:22), and my “C” goal was to give 100% of whatever I had that day.  My coach had said that in a workout last Friday, and it really stuck with me.

I warmed up and went through the pre-race rituals of putting on my uniform, tying my ribbons, lacing up the spikes, getting the hip numbers, drills, strides, the whole shebang.  Then my coach turned to me and said, “I want you to go through the mile at your mile PR.”

Okay then.

We lined up at the start, the gun went off, and a 38-year-old woman rocketed to the lead.  We passed the 200 in 36 seconds and the 400 in 75 seconds.


Sooo that kind of screwed me over for the rest of the race.  I passed the mile in 5:20 and got slower and slower each lap 😉 My splits are very embarrassing, but here they are:

36, 1:18, 1:20, 1:23, 1:25, 1:28, 1:29, 1:21 = 10:24

The last 1200 meters were a solid death march filled with lactic acid, but I somehow got through it and was only two seconds off the time I ran two weeks ago.  At least my last lap wasn’t above 90 or something!  I KNOW that with slightly better pacing and a less erratic, nerve-filled start, I can run in the 10:teens at least.

I had a recovery day Friday before racing the 4×1500 on Saturday.  On Saturday, we woke up early, watched some early morning 5ks, ran our shakeout in the pouring rain, and got ready for the 4:30 pm race.

We ran an “A” relay and a “B” relay consisting of all freshmen.  I anchored the B relay.  It was my first 1500 and my first relay in almost a year!  There were significantly fewer nerves for this race, and I was pumped.  The first three legs were all tired from their race the night before, so I received the baton pretty far back.  I went out hard, tried to hold it in the middle, and kicked hard to the finish.  My split was 4:51, which converts to right around 5:10 for the mile- faster than my (slow) PR of 5:15!

The 1500 was sooo much more fun than the 3k!  Why do I have to be better at longer distances!? 😉

Many of my teammates had excellent performances.  It’s exciting to see the team collectively improve after an indoor season marred by injury and weirdly serious illnesses like bronchitis, pneumonia, and mono.


Sunday was pretty low-key.  Among other things, I did some Econ homework in my favorite coffee place after my recovery run, did laundry, played piano, baked a sweet potato, and bought a pint of Ben and Jerry’s brownie batter core to celebrate a weekend of racing!!


If dreams could be incarnated in food form, they would appear as this pint.  Oh my lord.  This was the most amazing ice cream combination I think I’ve ever had.

Anyway. A crazy race, a fun race, and two weeks of training to go before my next race (an open 1500).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s