Good morning! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, religious or secular or whatever your lifestyle preferences entail. My family hosted our extended step-family, complete with four babies under the age of two. The house was loud. My dog was confused.
Christmas Eve brought foggy, rainy, miserable conditions– perfect for an 8 mile run with my friend from high school! The normally packed bike path was completely deserted and a bit spooky. Later on, we partook in our normal tradition of making homemade pizza, then attended the night church service. We also exchanged ornaments that represented something meaningful that happened to each person over the past year. I got a running wings ornament (shocking!), my brother received a driver’s license ornament, etc.
On Christmas morning, my family managed to sleep in until 7 am! Unheard of.
After opening stockings, we cooked a huge breakfast of pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit salad, and coffee and tea. We finished opening gifts- among mine were Run Fast Eat Slow, a Trader Joe’s gift card, and a Wawa gift card! Then, I went out for my long run. It was supposed to be 11 miles, but I forgot to look at my watch until I was way past the turnaround point.
I stopped before I got back to my house so as to not go over mileage too much, but I still ran 11.29 miles at 7:06 pace. Whoa. The run went pretty well- I didn’t realize I was going 7 minute pace until I looked down at the halfway point. The last three miles were pretty hard, and my feet, calves, and hamstrings really hurt from the sidewalk pounding. I also ran in a Santa hat the entire time 😉
The rest of the day was spent preparing for the Christmas dinner! (and maybe reading Run Fast Eat Slow cover to cover.)
The 100% homemade feast: turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, two kinds of stuffing, crescent rolls, beef wellington, vegan eggplant/mushroom roast, apple crisp, pumpkin pie, and vegan almond butter brownies.
Overall, Christmas was lovely and hectic 🙂
Anyway, here’s a recap of the past week of training: (12/19-12/25)
- Monday: AM: 4 early morning treadmill miles. PM: 5 miles + core. Felt good on both runs. Probably should’ve gone slower during the afternoon one.
- Tuesday: AM: lift day 1. PM: 9 miles sidewalks…middle 4 miles with former teammates/high school team which was fun!
- Wednesday: 4 early morning treadmill miles, took it pretty easy, sore legs.
- Thursday: AM: 6 early morning miles outside in the dark with a snazzy flashing arm band, felt good. PM: 30 min bike + lift day 2. I did 20 total unassisted chin-ups.
- Friday: off
- Saturday: AM: 8 miles with my friend Noah, rainy, cold, but fun. PM: 2 miles, mentally I didn’t really want to, but I got it done.
- Sunday: 11.29 miles at 7:06 pace