Happy first day of school! The second semester of junior year started bright and early this morning with an hour-long pool workout, training room visit, and 9:30 am marketing research class. And it’s snowing! I have an hour and a half break between classes, so I’m going to drink coffee too quickly and catch you all up on what’s been going on in my life 🙂
First of all, I spontaneously got a haircut! Chopped off about six inches of gross, dead hair left over from when my body was falling apart at the end of the cross country season. #newyearnewme? But that has next to nothing to do with training, sooo moving on.
So unfortunately, right as I was beginning to feel in shape and enjoy training again, I injured myself. Last Tuesday, I did a tempo run on the icy bike path and completely fucked up my left foot and ankle. Since then, I’ve been experiencing pain in my arch, plantar, and ankle bone, and it isn’t getting any better.
Ironically, I’m in the same position I was in at the start of last semester: cross training, foot/ankle pain, daily training room visits…hoo boy. I’m trying to take it in stride, though- be patient, smart, don’t rush things. Unlike past injuries, I want this to completely heal up before I try to train on it. And I’ve been killing it on the bike, in the pool, and in the weight room, so those are all positives! Might get an x-ray if the pain doesn’t improve soon.
Week of 1/8-1/14:
- Monday: AM: 7 easy miles + circuits. PM: active warm-up, 3 miles, strides, GS1, foam roll.
- Tuesday: 20 min warm-up, drills, 4 mile tempo on bike path (SUPER icy). Splits: 6:18, 6:26, 6:07, 6:03. 20 min cool down. Lower body lift at home, and did 24 chin-ups! Foot/ankle started hurting a lot later in the day. Iced it.
- Wednesday: AM: tried to run- too much pain. 30 min elliptical with ankle brace. PM: 30 min bike + core. Foam roll.
- Thursday: AM: 8 miles + strides + upper body lift. PM: 2 miles. Foot/ankle feel better than Tuesday and Wednesday, but not pain-free…in retrospect, I’m just a stubborn idiot 😉
- Friday: active warm-up, 4 miles- planned to do workout but after I warmed up for 2 miles, it was too painful, so I ran 2 miles home and then did a 50 minute pool workout (10 lap warm-up, 5 x 4 laps hard, 1 lap easy, 5 x 1 lap hard, 1 length easy, 10 lap cool down). Rolled, Epsom salt soak, electrical stim and ice, mobs, massage.
- Saturday: 100 min XT (80 min bike + 20 elliptical). Rolled, Epsom salt soak, electrical stim and ice, mobs, massage.
- Sunday: off. 40 min yoga/core.