Happy first day of October! It finally feels like fall here, although I wouldn’t know because I’ve been in the library most of the day. Our first finance midterm tomorrow is supposed to be a killer. However, the past hour has been spent on FloTrack and tfrrs rather than Blackboard, so I think my productivity is shot. Guess I should write a blog post 😉 Sorry I skipped last week’s training recap!
Week of 9/18-9/24:
- Monday: AM: 5 miles. PM: form drills, speed ladder, hurdles, 5 miles, felt tired, 4 x strides, planks/push-ups, rope stretch. Leg still hurts. Very hot! Total: 10 miles.
- Tuesday: AM: 18 min warm-up, drills, strides, 4 x 2k on the track with 1:30-2:00 recovery (7:30, 7:25, 7:22, 7:18). 21 min cool down. Lift in weight room. Ice bath. PM: NormaTec. Total: 10 miles.
Wednesday: 6 miles
- Thursday: AM: 30 min run, drills, 800 @ 2:57, 2×400-200-200 with 200 jog recovery (79, 39, 37, 78, 38, 36), 15 min cool down. Upper body lift in weight room. Cold ice bath! PM: 2 miles + NormaTec. Total: 10 miles.
- Friday: 5 mile pre-meet @ Panorama Farms, drills, strides, rope stretch. Very hot.
- Saturday: early AM: 10 min shakeout, rope stretch. Later: rope stretch, 18 min warm-up, drills, strides, hilly 5k race (18:18), 40 min cool down. Total: 12 miles.
- Sunday: 4 miles + 10 min core. First part was rough.
Total: 57 miles.
Week of 9/25-10/1:
- Monday: AM: 6 miles, in the zone! Bunion pain. PM: form drills, hurdle drills, speed ladder, 4 miles trails, 4 x 150m strides, planks/push-ups, rope stretch. Total: 10 miles.
- Tuesday: AM: 2 mile warm-up, drills, 10 min tempo, 4 x 4:00h, 2:00e, 2 x 2:00h, 1:00e, 2 x “X” strides, 2 mile cool down. Light lift in weight room. Ice bath. Light core. PM: 2 miles + NormaTec. Bunion pain.
- Wednesday: 60 min swim. PM: Massage (calves and hamstrings)
- Thursday: 2 mile warm-up, drills, 3 x 1.5 mile hill circuit, 1 x 400 hill, 2 x short grass hill, 2 mile cool down. Light lift in weight room + NormaTec. Ok at beginning, dead/nauseous at end. Ugh. Total: 9 miles. PM: off.
- Friday: AM: 6 miles. Felt pretty good. PM: form drills, 4 miles, 6 x strides, core/push-ups, yoga. Felt crappy, progressively worse throughout night.
- Saturday: 12 miles. Felt awful before, ok during, and awful after.
- Sunday: off
Total: 53 miles + 60 min swim
The week before last was a solid week of training; this week, not so much! Monday and Tuesday went well. We packed up well during Tuesday’s workout, even with some tension and trouble with one-stepping…
On Wednesday, my coach recommended (aka ordered) that I get my butt in the pool because of recent bunion pain. So I did. 60 minutes of swimming for the first time in months! Unfortunately, I started to feel sick on Wednesday night after massage, which has persisted throughout the rest of this week. I felt nauseous and weak during the latter half of Thursday’s hill workout, Friday’s afternoon practice, and Saturday’s long run. This did not prevent me from consuming a pint of ice cream and jabbering with some of my freshman teammates on Thursday night.
Also, I’m hella stubborn and ran 12 miles yesterday because coach said “give yourself a range of 8-12 miles since you don’t feel well.” She was a little annoyed at me for running 12…
After the long run, my roommate and I went to the farmers’ market and saw the cutest dogs.
I then went to Trader Joe’s to do some grocery shopping for the week. The beginning of the month always makes me feel falsely richer than I am (I am a very broke college student) because my parents help me out with rent. So yesterday I was a little less thrifty than I usually am. Which means I splurged on $3 butternut squash soup and bought pre-cooked chicken instead of raw.
Later that evening, we threw a birthday party for one of my teammates! Another friend made the most amazing ice cream cake: a cookie layer, vanilla ice cream, a brownie layer, fudge and peanut butter ice cream, and peanut butter swirled on top. After hours of laughter and dancing, I died out at 10 pm but hit a second wind once everyone else left and spent the next hour and a half dancing with my closest friends. It was a blast.
Anyway, today is a mandatory off day for me 😅 I managed to stay in bed until 8 am (that never happens!) and then made breakfast, meal prepped, and jetted off to the library, where I’ve been studying for finance since 11 am. Jk. I’ve been in the library since 11 am, but I took numerous breaks. Took an hour-long break at 3 to go get gas and Siggi’s yogurt at Harris Teeter (yes, I’m laughing at myself, too). But thanks to a sale and coupon, I got TEN SIGGI’S FOR $7.50. UNHEARD OF.
This past week of training wasn’t ideal, but I’m hoping that things will turn around in the coming week. In addition to feeling physically ill, I’ve had some crazy thoughts and emotions throughout the past week, which has been annoying. My team is experiencing the classic mid-season “everyone is falling apart” syndrome right now, so we’ve just got to keep ourselves together (literally and figuratively).
My goals for the coming week:
- Be a supportive teammate. Practice active listening (which we’re talking about in my business perspectives class, and it’s SO USEFUL).
- Take the crappy days in stride (if they occur). Pick something positive out of every workout/lift/day, even if you don’t feel incredible.
- Live in the present. I get really anal about classes and timing and the past and the future forget to enjoy the moment. The present is a great place to be!
- Do not mindlessly check Snapchat, Instagram, or Facebook when you’re bored or uncomfortable.
- Remember how much form drills, strides, and strength help running!
- Listen to your body and don’t overload training on Tuesday because it never ends well (you would think I would have learned that by now…)
Talk to you all later!