Happy Sunday! Today was a semi-productive day…I avoided schoolwork by updating my resume, running errands, and cleaning my apartment (our toilet has never sparkled so brightly). I even applied for an internship because I decided it was probably a good idea to stop being in denial that the real world exists!!
This evening, some of the team parents hosted a cookout, and I ate so much that I feel like I’m going to explode…so I’m currently lying on the couch in a pulled-pork-and-chili-induced food coma while writing this post 😉
Week of 10/9-10/15:
- Monday: AM: 6 miles pre-dawn, very humid/hot, didn’t feel as fresh as expected. NAP. PM: form drills, speed ladder, hurdle drills, 4 miles trails, 6 x strides, planks/push-ups, yoga
- Tuesday: AM: 18 min w/u, drills, strides, 2×500 (1:40, 1:40), 2k (7:16), 1k (3:30), 500 (1:38), stopped w/o early and cooled down for 3 miles. Legs felt trashed. Very humid! Lift in weight room + ice bath. PM: NormaTecs.
- Wednesday: AM: 4 miles + core, very humid. Bus ride to PSU. PM: 10 min shakeout.
- Thursday: pre-meet at PSU: 5 miles, drills, strides, rope stretch. In a funk.
- Friday: AM: 10 min shakeout, rope stretch. 20 min w/u, drills, strides, 6k @ PSU (21:20), 20 min c/d, rope stretch. PM: NormaTec on the bus.
- Saturday: 12 miles, felt tired but pretty good.
- Sunday: 4 miles, light core/stretching
Total: 54 miles
Hmmm…a weird week, culminating in a great race! I knew that last week’s training would hit me hard at the beginning of this week, so I was okay with the fact that Tuesday was rough. As I mentioned in my race recap, my mental game was not on point throughout the trip. I’ve felt sad, annoyed, discontent, and lonely over the past few weeks, and it was exacerbated on the trip. However, the race went great (individually)!
Sleep was pretty good this week. As far as nutrition goes, I’m not sure what’s going on with my body, but my appetite has never been as large as it’s been the past few weeks! I literally can’t get through the night without a snack, even if I eat at 9 pm right before going to bed. I’ve incorporated extra snacks in the morning and the afternoon, but for real…body WYD?? It was freaking me out a little because logically, normal people do not eat nine meals a day. But the race (and 56-second PR…) reassured me that collegiate athletes are not normal 😉
Also, as Quentin Cassidy states in Once a Runner, “if the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn.” #true. I might just be saying that to justify the large amount of treats consumed throughout the past week 😉 But I’m feeling good.
Anyway, I’m losing focus, soooo gonna sign off for now. We’re going to the river tomorrow morning for a fun practice! It’s crazy to think there are just a few weeks left of the season (because honestly at this point, our chances of qualifying for NCAAs are…dismal).